Learning and teaching online: Train the online trainerThe adoption of online learning offers various advantages that are being increasingly put to use for on the job training, which, if nothing else, is reflected in its ever-increasing use.
But the success of an online training is dependent on various factors. During the conception and introduction of online training, it must not be forgotten that the whole process is very demanding on the trainees themselves.
In order to reduce potential problems during online training, the training must be accompanied by a trained online trainer, who functions as a guide and coach for the participants. As many trainers for online courses come from traditional teaching backgrounds, the online trainers must be trained in new areas specifically to make the support for online training successful and effective. Acting as an online trainer is, with respect to the manner of communication and the use of computer systems for learning and communication, in some aspects quite different from the tasks and rules of a trainer in a traditional course or seminar, since teaching, training, and communication are all computer-mediated.
As compared to a traditional trainer, the online trainer must possess special knowledge and competencies and should be able to step into different roles very flexibly. This is why online training is quite different from traditional teaching methods and might be an entirely new educational experience for some trainers. Thus, online training requires a re-examination of the trainer’s role in an online learning environment.
- Differences between online training and onsite training
- Elements of an online learning environment
- Requirements for the trainees in an online learning environment
- Requirements for developing web-based learning material
- Qualifications of an online trainer
- Typical applications of an online trainer
- Roles and tasks of an online trainer
- The characteristics and usage of different communication tools
- Communicating effectively online
- Acting as an online trainer
The most important learning objectivesThe test candidates will …
- Know the features and specifics of an online learning environment
- Understand the demands on learners and trainers in an online learning environment
- Know the qualifications an online trainer should have
- Be familiar with different communication tools and know when to use them
- Know about the roles and tasks of an online trainer
- Be able to act as an online trainer